Comments

Friday, January 25, 2013

Present Perfect

Posted by at 9:21 PM Read our previous post
This page will present the present perfect simple:
·         its form
·         and its use.
The form of the present perfect simple tense:
Have (in the simple present) + Verb (in the past participle form)

Positive
Negative
Interrogative
I have worked.
I have not worked.
Have you worked?

NOTE:
I have worked = I've worked
He has worked = He's worked
I have not = I haven't worked
He has not = He hasn’t worked
Examples:
·         Have you finished the job?
·         No, I haven't finished yet.
·         Yes, I have already finished.
·         She's just finished her job.
Remember:
1.      The past participle of regular verbs is :
Rule
Examples
Verb + ed
play - played
visit - visited
finish -finished

2. The past participle of irregular verbs can't be predicted (there is no rule)
Infinitive
Simple past
Past participle
be
come
go
do
meet
was/were
came
went
did
met
been
come
gone
done
met
The uses of the present perfect simple tense:
1. To emphasize on the result of a past action without mentioning the actual time when it happened:
Examples:
·          I have met that girl before.
·         We have discussed this issue a few times.
2. Action performed in a period that has not finished yet (the same day, week, month, etc.):
Examples:
·          Have you seen Lacy today? (The day is not over yet.)
·          I have had several tests this month. (The month has not finished yet.)

3. Action that started in the past and has continued until now. Often used with since (indicating the beginning of action) or for (indicating the duration of action):
Examples:
·         They have lived here for ten years.
·          I have not seen her since we left high school.
·         Clare and John have known each other since they were at primary school.
4. It is used to indicate completed activities in the immediate past (with just).
Example:
·          " He has just taken the medicine."
Present perfect vs past simple tense:
The use of past simple instead of present perfect requires clear reference to a past period/moment:
Present perfect
Simple past
I have met that girl before
I met that girl at the beach last Saturday.
Have you seen Nancy recently?
Did you see Nancy yesterday?
We have discussed this issue a few times.
We discussed this issue last month.
I have had some tests this week.
I had some tests last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

©2012 Belajar Bahasa Inggris SMA / SMK Online is powered by Blogger - Template designed by Stramaxon - Best SEO Template
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free